Sunday, March 29, 2009

Magazines

I love magazines. I think it all started when I was a kid and I'd look at my sisters Teen and Seventeen. It was all so fascinating, the talk about boys, hair, makeup, relationships and puberty. The only magazine I remember getting as a kid was National Geographic World, and that was a gift from my grandmother. I had a friend whose mom got all of the womens magazines like Ladies Home Journal, Good Housekeeping etc. I thought that was so cool and I asked my mom if she would get a magazine.

I was trying to think of all the magazines I've subscribed to over the years. Those with an asterik * are ones I currently subscribe to.
Teen
Seventeen
People*
Utne Reader
Wired
Cooking Light*
Taste of Home
Martha Stewart Living*
Glamour
Star*
Everday Food*
Cooks Illustrated*
Cook's Country*
Brain, Child*
Parents
Parenting
Us Weekly
Oprah
The Herb Companion
Working Mother*
Organic Gardening
Various Knitting Nagazines
Mademoiselle
Time
Wondertime
Family Fun
Bead and Button

As you can tell, I am a magazine junkie. My favorites are People, Star and Brain, Child. Although as I get older I tend to not know all of the celebrities talked about in People and Star. When my husband and I got together he exclaimed "I've never seen anyone get so many magazines!". Now I tell myself that if I get one more magazine, my husband will divorce me.

Do I read them all? I do. Although lately I haven't been keeping up with the Martha Stewart Living and all the cooking ones I get. I used to get Oprah and found it to be too preechy. Have you ever noticed that she is on the cover of every issue? My husband jokes, "Oh let's see who's on the cover of Oprah this month. Look, it's Oprah!"

I am going to cut back. I am not renewing Martha Stewart Living and Cooks Illustrated. I mainly get Cooks Illustrated because I like the different pictures of food on the front that I cut out and put on my kitchen wall. Same reason I used to buy all of these Celestial Seasons tea because I liked the pictures on the boxes. And I don't really drink tea! But it seems for every magazine I don't renew, I find another one to take its place.

When I'm done reading them I give most of my magazines to my sister. She passes them on to the doctors office where she works. Before I started giving my magazines to my sister I'd take them to the YMCA and health club where I worked out. The only magazines I use to keep was Martha Stewart Living. I had over ten years worth in my basement! I always thought I'd go back and read them. But I haven't so I recently recycled them. That was a lot of work hauling them to the recycling bin!

I think I am coming to an end of my love affair with magazines. Anymore I think they are just trying to sell you something. But who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment