Monday, March 23, 2009

Cars

I need a new car. I got to thinking about cars yesterday as I backed my husband's truck out of the driveway. It's a stick shift. I haven't driven a stick shift in years. Plus I couldn't see out the backend because of all his equipment, but that's another story.

I learned how to drive a stick shift my senior year of college. My good friend Tiffany taught me. I had to learn quickly because my old car, a Ford Mustang, came to a sudden and abrupt end. My new car, a Toyota Tercel, was a stick and so I had to learn how to drive a stick. I learned to like a stick shift. It gave me something to do while driving and helped me control my speed.

I do not want a new car. My current vehicle, a Kia Spectra (what I refer to as a crap car) is paid for. And it runs pretty well and only has 56,000 miles on it. But with three kids this car is not big enough. One day I went to the grocery store before picking the kids up. I had the stroller in the trunk so I could only put a few groceries in there. There wasn't any room for people to sit!

I do not want a minivan. To me that just screams mommobile! I'd like a subaru station wagon. I tend to prefer foreign cars. They run better! But I really hate to be so dependent on a car at all. I wish our communities were set up so that I could walk wherever I need to go, like on a college campus. I'd probably walk or bike to work if I didn't have to transport children, or is that just an excuse?

So I will not get a new car anytime soon. I will drive this car until it falls apart. We'll just have to be crowded.

No comments:

Post a Comment