Friday, April 24, 2009

Sophie and Lea

I miss my dog. If I knew how to post pictures I'd post a picture of her here. I knew that her absence would hit me later. What can I say? I got Sophie shortly after I moved out west. I'd always wanted a dog, but it didn't seem like my life was condusive (sp?) to having a dog. I had a cat, Lea, whom I loved also. I kind of associate these two pets as my ventures into adult life and caring for something other than myself. I got Lea shortly after I returned from my Outward Bound experience in 1994. I need another post to write about that experience. I was 23, about to turn 24. I was attending grad school at Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana. I could write another post about how much I love this town. I mentioned to one of my co-workers that I wanted a cat and she put me in touch with Lea, who needed a home. She brought me Lea who was a grey tortoise shell little kitty. I was living at the time in and old house that was chopped up into rooms for rent. I loved this house! Ask anyone who has ever been to Bloomington with me and I've dragged them through this house. It had a great porch that I loved to sit outside and people watch. Well anyway I got Lea that summer and she was pretty special. I was neurotic about taking care of this cat. Other cats came into my life but none held the same charm for me as Lea. She made the harrowing trip out West with me (and back!).

Sophie came into my life soon after I moved out west to Farmington, NM. I was working as a librarian at the high school in Shiprock, NM. One day on my way home from work I stopped by the pound "just to look". I was lonely out there like I'd never been lonely before. I thought a dog might help. Never mind the fact that I was living in apartment that was unbelievably hard to get that didn't allow dogs. I saw Sophie, who could best be described as a little golden retriever. I did whatever it was I needed to do to adopt her and took her home. The day was Halloween. I named the dog Sophie cause my friend Tiffany had a dog named Sophie that I thought looked like this dog. I went home that night and got some trick-or-treaters. When I opened the door Sophie ran out and took off running. I looked for her that night and couldn't find her. I felt horrible, thinking that this dog had a chance while she was at the pound but out there on the loose who knew what could happen to her. I imagined myself calling the pound the next day to tell them to look out for this dog and that she was worse off than when I adopted her. Well that night I woke up to a dog barking. I opened my door and there stood Sophie. I couldn't of spent more than an hour or two with her and how she managed to find her way back to my place, I couldn't fathom. I thought to myself, "that's a smart dog." I took her in and we were inseperable.

I'm sure my circumstances contributed to my strong attachment to this dog. I had moved 1500 miles willingly by myself to a place where I knew no one and the cutlture was quite different. All I had was this dog. And she was loyal like you wouldn't believe. I didn't have to potty train her cause she was already 6 months old. I often thought that if I had to potty train her I would've given up because it was more that at that time I could handle. She would run off, but she always came back. Shortly therafter I moved into to teacher housing in Shiprock, which was on the reservation. They didn't care if you had dogs. It was really a nice place and super cheap. They took my rent out of my salary. It certainly was the nicest place I'd ever lived in on my own. It had two bedrooms, a kitchen and family room. It had a front and back yard. I grew vegetables and had some beautiful rose bushes. The isolation and lonileness of this place was nothing like I'd experienced before or since. It got to a person. So the one thing I had to help keep me sane was this dog and this cat. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment