Thursday, May 14, 2009

Wounded Knee

Did anyone watch the PBS series about Native Americans "We Shall Remain"? It's been on for the past month on Monday nights. This last episode, entitled "Wounded Knee" was really good. It was all about the American Indian Movement during the early 1970's. I don't know why I get so fascinated by all of that but I do. It makes me want to take a road trip to South Dakota to see the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and to see the Badlands and the Black Hills. Just because I'm curious and I'd like to see it.

I've spent some time on Indian reservations. I spent a summer while I was in college on the Navajo Reservation in Window Rock/Ft. Defiance AZ. Then I lived and worked for two years at the high school in Shiprock, NM. I think back often to that time and how it affected me, both good and bad. I love the West and I miss the West. I haven't been back since I left Denver (and that's not really "the West"). The sky is so big and expansive and the wide open spaces seem to swallow you up whole. I know I'll go back someday. I have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment